In 2014, domestic travelers spent $21.3 billion across the state, a 5.4% increase from 2013, and a record high visitor spending figure.
- Domestic tourism expenditures directly supported 204,832 jobs for North Carolina residents, up 3% from 2013 and a record high employment figure.
- The tourism industry contributed $4.9 billion to the state’s payroll in 2014.
- Traveler spending generated over $3.2 billion in tax receipts:
- $1.5 billion in federal, $1.1 billion in state and $636.1 million in local tax revenue.
- North Carolina ranks sixth in total person-trip volume by state behind California, Florida, Texas, New York, and Pennsylvania.